Your Interviews

Ten minutes with....

Richard Barr (EMBA 2005)

What is your current position/occupation?
I am a Senior Programme Manager at Lloyds Banking Group. I am involved in leading or supporting major group wide change programmes. I am currently leading a review of one of our major investment programmes.

Why did you choose to study at Cass?
The Cass MBA is highly regarded, and gave me the opportunity to broaden my skills and capabilities. My then employer, BAE Systems, funded my study.

What is your most treasured memory of your time at Cass?
The times with my friends and colleagues on the course. A diverse range of backgrounds, experiences, characters and nationalities, yet we had far more in common than differentiated us: For example, a desire to share and to learn.

How did Cass influence your Career Development?
It helped me to broaden my outlook and understanding of the commercial world, provided a valuable qualification, and gave me increased confidence in developing my career in another sector.
Outside of your professional career you are a real ambassador and long-standing contributor for The Down's Syndrome Association and the Woolgrove School. Where does your passion and drive come from?
Our second son, Tom, had Down’s Syndrome and as part of his condition he suffered from congenital heart disease. Tom died in 2004, aged 7 years. Every year since then I have taken on a self-funed, ‘Carity Challenge’ to raise as much money as I can for the two charities. I have raised over £35,000 thus far and successfully completed challenges including; riding a motorcycle across India, climbing Mt Kilimanjaro, trekking to Everest Base Camp, cycling across Vietnam and Cambodia, and dog sledding over 250km in 6 days in the Arctic Circle.

www.challengepictures.co.uk

Your charitable contribution led to your nomination as an Olympic Torch bearer. what was the experience of being part of the Olympics like?
It was amazing just to get nominated, I was very surprised and proud. Representing the Down’s Syndrome Association and Woolgrove Special Needs School, carrying the Olympic flame was fantastic, humbling and emotional. I also gave presentations to a number of local schools, sharing my experiences; the hugely positive reaction, excitement and enthusiasm the children had for the Olympics was tangible.

What is your favourite thing to do in London?
London is a great city and I feel even more proud of it following the success of London 2012. What I enjoy most in London is our regular trips to the theatre with my wife and two children; taking in a show and then a meal in Chinatown.

And lastly, what does the future hold for you?

There is certainly plenty of change to be managed in financial services. I hope to continue to play a small part in helping to rebuild trust in the industry. And I will continue to balance this with my charity fundraising activities and spending time with my family and friends.