Your articles

Ruth Storm (MBA Finance 1988)

From a world of business to a world of adventure

I was born and grew up in Wisconsin, USA. I went to Wartburg College in the USA and the University of Bonn in Germany and gained a BA in German and Political Science. After working in Washington, DC for a US Congressman, I married and moved to London in 1983. With no career plan in sight, I joined Citicorp Venture Capital so I could participate in Citicorp's extensive internal training programmes. They also sponsored my MBA at Cass, which was a real turning point in my career.

This propelled me into a 25-year career as a venture capital and private equity professional with Phildrew Ventures in London. I retired from that full-time role five years ago and I am now a Business Coach to private equity professionals and directors of their portfolio companies. This enables me to pursue my adventurous lifestyle.

I hated athletics and sports both in school and in college, and only discovered my love for the mountains and all things skiing later in life. I've always loved the outdoors (I grew up in Northern Wisconsin) and spent summers in the mountains in Colorado.) I've done all types of skiing since my youth in school, but it wasn't until my children were older that I took time to really explore and take up some real adventures.

I’ve developed an interest in outdoor, extreme expedition-type adventures. I enjoy long-distance cycling (Africa, Alaska, Europe), skiing in extremes (North Pole Last Degree), and my most recent challenge, skiing 900km to the South Pole in 39 days. In doing so, I became the 14th woman ever to ski the distance unsupported. Only around 200 people in total have ever done this. I love the pristine environments of the Arctic and Antarctic. In Antarctica I also spent some time in the Ellsworth Mountains, climbing eight peaks, four of which had never been climbed. I think that was the most amazing experience of my life (apart from the birth of my children!).

My children, Harrison (19) in medical school at University of Sussex and Frederick (21) studying Psychology / Philosophy at University of Hull share my interest in adventure and outdoors and are avid skiers. In April 2012 we trekked together to Everest Base Camp and over several trekking peaks and high mountain passes in the Himalayas.

I also have an interest in developing countries and microfinance. In my early adventures I did some fundraising, including raising a microfinance fund for a Lutheran church in Tanzania, the sister church to St Anne's Lutheran church in the City of London. I've helped establish two funds in Sri Lanka and Tanzania. This uses the skills developed during my career and I think it's the best way to provide development aid.

I'm intending to combine some of what I've learned on these expeditions into my coaching work. I can relate what I've experienced to leadership, teams, resilience, mental toughness, personality types and more.

People ask what's next. I love the mountain climbing and would like to do more of that - Greenland, Himalayas, South America, Antarctica, Alaska. Not Everest (too crowded and commercial). I'd also like to do more long distance cycling –
coast to coast North America, the Silk Route. I've also done quite a bit of offshore sailing and my biggest adventure dream is to sail around the world.

I'll let you know when I've done it!