Your Interviews

Ten minutes with.... Paul Knighton

MSc Insurance & Risk Management, 2007

Paul is taking a career break to compete in The Clipper Round the World yacht race!

What is your current position/occupation?
Marine Cargo Broker at Lockton Companies, LLP the world largest privately owned Insurance Broker (www.lockton.com

Why did you study at Cass?
Because it has a first class reputation in the UK and around the world, and offered a course that was specific to my industry.

What is your most treasured memory of your time at Cass?
Meeting so many different people from around the world. There was a great mix on the course and I remain in contact with many of them today.

How has your career developed since you left Cass?
My colleagues and I set up the Lockton Cargo and Logistics division, which is now a major player in the London Marine Insurance Market. Cass was instrumental in this as I found out after I joined that it was my MSc that made me stand out from all the other candidates and secured me the position.

What made you want to take part in the race?
My first exposure to Offshore Racing was on British television during the early 1990s when the BT Global Challenge was televised in a mini-series. The Global Challenge was a similar race to the Clipper Race but those guys circumnavigated the wrong way round, against the prevailing winds, whereas we tend to follow the route of the old Clipper ships where trade winds push us to speeds of up to 30 knots.  When I saw how competitive each team was and how demanding the conditions were I knew this was something I had to do.

What team are you racing for?
I’ve been lucky enough to be selected for team Visit Finland. This is Finland’s second entry to the race. Last time they finished second overall, so we hope to go one better this time.

Which ports will the race visit?
The race starts at Southampton and then heads for Madeira in the Mid-Atlantic. This short race is intended to get the crews working together before the bigger test of sailing onwards to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We follow a generally anti-clockwise route with the next stops being Cape Town, Eastern Australia, New Zealand, Western Australia, Singapore, China, California, Panama, New York, Canada, Derry-Londonderry and the Netherlands before returning to England.

Where are you most looking forward to visiting?   
Sailing past the statue of liberty as we enter New York will be amazing, as will seeing Table Mountain as we approach Cape Town. I hear the reception in China is out of this world and arriving home will be really special. But the place I’m most looking forward to is not a city or country but the Southern Ocean, generally regarded as the biggest test for any offshore yachtsman.

What are you most apprehensive about during the race?
Well, obviously there are the day to day things like trying to use the toilet at a 45 degree angle in a Force 10, and never having more than four hours sleep at any one time. Leaving my family and fiancé behind for a year will also be incredibly difficult. But competing in a race like this is about stepping away from your comfort zone. Above all I just hope we all return home safely.

Do you think your time at Cass will help you in this challenge?
Yes, the crew is multinational and working with different people from different parts of the world is something that I enjoyed during my time at Cass. I’m looking forward to using those skills again.

What’s your favourite thing to do in London?
I am very lucky to live in Richmond Upon Thames, and there is nothing nicer than walking along the river from Richmond to Teddington and stopping at a few of the pubs on the way.

Follow his progress in the Hub on Paul's blog - an update of his adventures, thoughts and feelings as he sails round the world.