Your Interviews

Ten minutes with....Simon King-Cline

Better Business Programme, January 2011

What is your current position / occupation?
I am the Founder and Managing Director of creative communications agency Aspect Ltd.

What does your typical day involve?
My typical day has changed enormously in the last two months as I have significantly changed my role from working virtually exclusively IN the business to spending most of my time working ON the business. This has involved huge change, with me handing over much of my sales and project delivery responsibility to other key members of the Aspect management team, which is beginning to leave me with time available to focus exclusively on vision and strategy for the business. So right now, with this amount of change going on, I do not have a typical day! I’m immersed in developing our five-year strategy and ensuring this is communicated in a powerful way to the Aspect team.

Why did you choose to participate in the Better Business Programme?
My co-founder and I knew that we were the bottlenecks in our business. This fact came to light over the last six months – we recognised the business had hit a glass ceiling and we understood that our roles in the business had to fundamentally change in order for our business to scale and embark on dramatic growth once again. We saw the Better Business Programme as a unique opportunity to re-focus ourselves and support this important transition – which it absolutely did.

What did you specifically like and enjoy about the Better Business Programme at Cass?
I really enjoyed the networking with other entrepreneurs and gaining insight into their strategic issues and challenges. The entrepreneur guest speakers also provided major insight into how to seek success and growth for your business.

How has the course helped you and have you returned to Cass since?
The course has helped hugely and Aspect now has a concrete five-year strategy. We have established three horizons of activity and the tasks associated with our first horizon are already in play and impacting the business. I believe the learnings from the programme will have helped us transform the business at a far greater speed and more positive direction than we otherwise would have. I have enjoyed returning to Cass since the programme to speak to MBA and Exec MBA students and bring Aspect’s story to life. Talking with students and gaining new insights from the professors at the School has been really rewarding.

Can you highlight some benefits of doing the programme for those who have completed an MBA at Cass?
I don’t have an MBA myself, although if I had I may have found the answers for my business more quickly! I believe the benefits of the programme are the network of real business people you meet, many of whom are grappling with the same challenges that you are. Also, the fact that the programme is so practically focused on helping you achieve your personal and business goals. Even with an MBA, it’s not always easy to put the theory into practice and the Better Business Programme really helps you apply the thinking to the real world in which you are operating.

What advice would you give someone taking the Better Business Programme?
Stick with it! My co-founder Ben and I didn’t realise the value and the power of the programme until we were very much into it. Give it time and don’t jump to conclusions.

What would you consider to be your greatest achievement in life?
Marrying my wife, bringing up three fantastic children and building a successful business!

Where do you see yourself in the future?
In the future I see myself as a business investor, as an entrepreneur consultant and having the opportunity and time to explore my musical and dramatic arts interests, as I play the oboe and saxophone.

What's your favourite thing to do in London?
Walking in Kew Gardens.