Your Interviews

Ten minutes with… Poul Jensen (MBA 2002) 

What is your current position / occupation?

I am currently the Director of the European Business and Technology Centre (EBTC) in New Delhi, India. EBTC is an EU initiative to enhance business and research collaboration between EU and India, with a specific focus on the Biotechnology, Energy, Environment and Transport sectors.

What does your typical day involve?
People, people, people. All forms of interaction with business people, with researchers, with politicians, with policy makers, with experts, etc. All to make cross border business work smoothly, to make relevant and sustainable transfer of technologies happen, to facilitate exchange of knowledge and know-how. So a typical day involves tasks which are an interesting mix of creating a strategic direction for EU-India collaboration, and an operational aspect of implementing a platform with concrete initiatives to facilitate that collaboration.

Why did you choose to study at Cass?
The London location was a key criteria, as was Cass's emphasis on having a very international class with students from more than 30 countries. My degree was International Business, so doing an MBA with as many different cultures as possible was extremely relevant and important.

What did you specifically like and enjoy about the MBA?
The multicultural aspect, the case study and group approach. At the end of the day, my most important take away from the MBA was not the hard fact topics, but the importance of soft skills. I believe these skills are now one of my largest assets.

How has your career developed since you left Cass?
The Cass MBA was essential in redirecting my career, making a shift from a hard skill trade to management consulting. The MBA had increased my awareness of entrepreneurial skills. So when the consulting firm hired me to internationalise its business, and the opportunity arose to open their office in India, I was in New Delhi in no time!

It’s been a great learning experience, putting quite a few skills to the test. And now I’ve landed this extremely interesting position – an entrepreneurial position in a political environment. You can imagine the discussions from the two fronts! My CV now has a lot of 'India asset', which is not a bad thing considering the economic growth perspectives of India, and the opportunities accompanying that.

What does the European Business and Technology Centre (EBTC) plan to achieve in India?
EBTC will become a preferred point of contact for insight into the Indian market for the European business and research communities, and for the development of their entry and growth in the Indian market. EBTC will become a nodal point in the transfer of clean technologies from Europe to India.

What advice would you give someone working in this sector?
Be prepared for a storm! These sectors in India are displaying high growth rates, India has an immense amount of 'catching up' ahead, and Europe can play a pivotal role. It is dynamic, it is ever changing, it is spontaneous, and it is fast paced. Staying up to date is sometimes a challenge, especially as the focus is not on one sector, but four.

What would you consider to be your greatest achievement in life?
I believe my greatest achievement is still to come! I feel I'm growing day by day, and I live by the proverb that the day you have not learnt something, is a bad day. At the moment the largest achievement is constantly remaining curious, constantly pushing borders, always seeking the space outside the comfort zone. And by doing that, I'm amazed at how many achievements I'm ticking off!

Where do you see yourself in the future?
I continue to see myself in Asia, where I have a clear sense of adding value, and where opportunities are plentiful. And importantly, in Asia, I have the possibility of continuously pushing my boundaries and I’m not tempted to stay inside my comfort zone.

What's your favourite thing to do in London?
I just love feeling the pulse of London, which is incredibly different to New Delhi. I simply enjoy time with good friends when visiting – whether in a pub or on a walk through town or along the Thames.