Your Interviews - December 2010

Ten minutes with… Marca Wosoba (MBA 2007)

What is your current position / occupation?
I'm a Director at RBS Private Institutional. I joined the business at its inception after delivering a strategic proposal to RBS Global Banking & Markets regarding the division's entry and focus on the Ultra High Net Worth Market. 
I collaborate with team mates and colleagues across the bank to originate clients, manage relationships and create opportunities to deliver investment banking solutions and ideas to some of the UK's highest net worth individuals and Family Offices.
Prior to the launch of the Private Institutional business, I sold interest rate derivatives to UK SMEs with a focus on restructuring existing interest rate transactions. 

Why did you study at Cass?
I was attracted to Cass by its reputation – particularly in Finance – as well as its proximity to the City. I was convinced that Cass was the right place for me after I attended a recruitment seminar where I was impressed with the quality of lecturers and the positive atmosphere.

What is your most treasured memory of your time at Cass?
The fun had with and lessons learned from the people I met. Cass is full of smart, talented students and staff and I feel fortunate to have worked with some of them during my MBA. I’m even more fortunate to call some of them friends.   

Who has most inspired you in your career?
My parents. They instilled in me the belief that I could do and be whatever I wanted if I was willing to work hard to achieve it.   

How has your career developed since you left Cass?
Since completing my MBA I’ve changed sectors – from publishing to finance. I joined RBS Global Banking and Markets immediately after Cass and began my career there selling interest rate derivatives to UK businesses. It was a fun role in a great team, but when I was offered the opportunity to join RBS Private Institutional I jumped at the chance to help build a new client base and revenue stream for the bank.
My current role is the direct result of the Business Research Project that I completed for the current CEO and CAO of RBS Global Banking and Markets as part of my MBA at Cass. RBS Private Institutional was launched in 2009 and I was asked to join as a founding member.

What would you consider to be your greatest achievement?
That’s a tough one.  Honestly, I think that I’m probably still too young to answer that!  Not that there aren’t accomplishments that I’m proud of, but I hope to achieve much more over the course of my life.

How do you feel that the situation for women in business has changed over the last ten years? What challenges do they still face?
I don’t believe that I’ve been discriminated against because of my gender.   Having said that, I am not implying that discrimination is non-existent.  For example, the Equality and Human Rights Commission report highlighted the challenges faced by women in the City in relation to bonuses, performance related pay and career progression.
However, instead of considering the challenges women face, another way of looking at this is to consider the challenge that organisations face to ensure that all of their employees develop to their full potential and create maximum value for the firm. How can employers motivate, retain and promote a greater proportion of staff regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation?
There may not be a quick solution, but I believe that we should be directing the challenge of diversity toward senior management and organisations, not at staff. 

What does the future hold for you?
I can’t be sure what the future holds for me, but I hope it holds more exciting challenges, opportunities to work with great people and travel.

What advice would you give someone just starting out on their career after finishing their degree?
Be persistent, positive and patient. Recognise that there may be setbacks or delays, but stay focused on where you want to go. If you don’t land your dream job, consider alternative roles and experiences that could help you get there (by acting as a step (or steps) along the way). 

What’s your favourite thing to do in London?
I love the energy and diversity of London. At the same time I like how easy it is to get out of the city (and the UK) for cycling, long weekends and holidays. Some of my favourite things to do in London include running in the parks or along the river, taking advantage of shows or exhibitions like the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Awards and meeting friends for afternoon tea.