Your Interviews - March 2010

Ten minutes with… Ruth Yeoh (MSc Mangement, 2005)

The world is full of Cass alumni doing interesting things. One of them is Ruth Yeoh, who is pioneering a sustainable approach to business.

What is your current position / occupation?
Director of Investments at YTL Corporation Berhad, an infrastructure conglomerate (www.ytl.com.my)

Why did you study at Cass?
Because it’s one of the leading Business Schools in the UK with a top Msc Management course. That’s what I read at Cass.

What is your most treasured memory of your time at Cass?
Bonding with other fellow students during interactive strategy sessions at the student cafe area and The Hub.

How has your career developed since you left Cass?
I set up, and now lead, the environmental division at my firm (YTL Corp). I have also included a CDM consultancy as a subsidiary in our business. More information on the work that I do is available both at our corporate website at www.ytl.com.my and at our flagship YTL ‘Climate Change Week’ website at www.ytlcommunity.com/climatechange.

You’ve become known for your environmental work. What prompted your involvement?
This mainly came through learning at a very young age how business can be done the right way - which is essentially the sustainable way. Our business is very values-driven and Directors are very hands-on with regards to their work. They recognise that corporate responsibility is crucial for corporate survival, now and in the future. I have also made it a personal mission to become active in terms of protecting the environment, complementing my daily work centred around this important area.

What would you consider to be your greatest achievement?
Helping to set up an environmental division within our firm with a business case for the environment. This helped our own businesses to go carbon neutral, and also enabled us to help other companies go clean and green through our CDM Consultancy, YTL-SV Carbon (www.ytl-svcarbon.com). 

I have also co-edited a book on climate change entitled ‘Cut Carbon, Grow Profits: Business Strategies for Managing Climate Change and Sustainability"’(published in 2007 and available to purchase at www.amazon.co.uk).

You are the youngest board member of the US Conservation organisation RARE Conservation. Can you tell us more about your role?
At RARE, I help to strategise environmental protection and conservation work in Asia through strengthening partnerships with leaders and practitioners.  For example, with RARE, we have already formed a joint partnership with WWF-Malaysia to roll out an ‘anti-bombing fish campaign’ in coastal areas through establishing a ‘Pride Campaign. 

I recently travelled to a remote region in China and made a conscious decision to donate to one of the villages I visited there. They have an ongoing ‘Green Building Pilot Project’ there which has a target to reduce deforestation rates by 20%. I am also the youngest Board Member at Reef Check Malaysia, dedicated to protecting reefs and coral life in Malaysia and the Southeast Asian region.

What does the future hold for you?
What I do is extremely humbling as I get to clean up my firm's businesses and I will continue to do my part both as a corporate citizen and a global citizen to protect the environment. I also believe a combination of corporate action and conservation is essential. It must not be forgotten that this good earth we have inherited is God's creation and we are stewards of his wealth.

What advice would you give someone just starting their career after leaving Cass?
Pursue a career which you will enjoy. That way, you won’t feel that it is just work – because you will love what you do. I certainly enjoy my job as it also allows me to travel to visit beautifully biodiverse places on earth. And – please forgive me for the pun, but this is ultimately the nature of my job – that I get to appreciate nature through conservation and not just sit at my desk all the time!

What’s your favourite thing to do in London?
Taking walks in the many beautiful parks that London has to offer. I particularly love Kew Gardens for the stunning flowers, trees, history and artistic natural landscaping.