Your Interviews - Nov 2009

Ten minutes with… Chutima Durongdej

What is your current position / occupation?
Miss Thailand Universe

Why did you study at Cass?
I studied at Cass because it has a good reputation, great facilities but most of all, the course is very interesting, innovative and challenging.

What is your most treasured memory of your time at Cass?
The fashion show I helped organize for the international day. I taught my friends how to do the runway walk and how to pose. They all worked hard for my runway and everyone looked fabulous!! We got about 15 people wearing their national costume. For the show, there were 45 sec PowerPoint slide pictures from each country and the music changed to their country traditional music when each person came out. There was a really happy and fun atmosphere and everyone loved the fashion show.

How has your career developed since you left Cass?
Not much actually because I went to fulfil my childhood dream of becoming Miss Thailand. However, being Miss Thailand is really awesome! It opened many doors for me. I get to meet people from many different walks of life including people from various fields of business.

What would you consider to be your greatest achievement?
For now is being Miss Thailand and winning Miss Photogenic in the Miss Universe Competition

How has winning Miss Thai Universe 2009 / Miss Photogenic changed your life?
My life has changed immensely! I’ve gonefrom normal Chutima to Chutima, Miss Thailand. Everywhere I go people know my name. Everyone asks for my autograph or a picture with me. People who follow my interviews know what I like, know my family background and everything about me. That is crazy right? Kids and many people take me as their idol. I had many people come up to me and say that my story and my journey of becoming Miss Thailand Universe had inspired them so much and they are starting to pursue their dreams because of me. Also, what I really love is that my family business has got free publicity all over Thailand!! I often say what my family does in interviews – they have a water treatment company call Mazuma. We also have a website too www.mazuma.co.th

What has been your most rewarding experience in this role?
The most rewarding experience is being able to see the appreciation from people in need or working for charity organizations when I go to help at the charity events. Also, another experience that is equally rewarding is to see how my presence inspires many people of all ages, young and old, in many ways. The reporters in Thailand said that I break the mould of the typical Thai woman because I speak my mind and I am so comfortable and confident in everything that I do.

You took part in Miss Universe 2009, can you describe your experience? What were the other contestants like?
Miss Universe Pageant is the biggest and the most fun event that I have ever been involved with in my life! There were bodyguards 24/7. The people of the Bahamas were so welcoming, people would be cheering and screaming our country’s names everywhere we went. There were photographers from all around the world following us everyday to capture all the moments. The girls were so glamorous and very over-dressed! We all had to wake up really early to do our own hair and make up. I can assure you that every delegate could be mistaken for a professional hair and make up artist because everyone did it to perfection everyday! During the day we would do activities at the tourist sites for the VTR to promote the Bahamas. Some days we were promoting HIV and AIDS awareness as well. Nearly every evening there would be entertainment for us such as gala dinners, fashion shows, concerts etc... At night, we would be practicing for the opening dance. There are so many funny, crazy memories from this experience! Eighty four women from different cultures speaking different languages living together for three weeks… Of course there ought to have been little hitches here and there. But we all choose to forgive, adjust and understand each other. I think that is what’s important. I have made some really good friends from various continents who I am still in touch with.

How do you think that people in these roles can make a difference? Do you have a cause that you are trying to raise awareness of?
Of course they do make a difference! I am here because of them. I know the topic of beauty queens is so controversial. Some people might perceive beauty queens in a negative way. But, for me, a beauty queen is not just a pretty face. She is a figure that represents a well-composed, confident, strong-minded woman who knows how to take care of themselves, who has a good EQ (emotional excellence quotient), positive thinking and a passion for helping. Some kids (like me) think that this is very inspirational and take them as idols. So, beauty queen figures made a difference in my life and I am sure in many girls lives in terms of self development. My role as Miss Thailand Universe is to raise awareness of HIV and AIDS within my country and Miss Universe does the same thing but globally. However, if any other charity organization would like us to help with promotion of their events or in any kind of charity work we are happy to do that as well. So, we do make a difference but the question is how big?

What does the future hold for you?
Probably working in the entertainment world from now to earn money, make connections and to find out what kind of business I would like to pursue. Then, I hope to open a business in eight years time. I know it seems slow… but hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day!

What advice would you give someone just starting out on their career after finishing their degree?
I don’t think I am the person to give anyone career advice! Some people who are reading my interview right now might be older and had more life experience than me. But I can tell you this “I know what I want and I love what I do”. So, I try to overcome every obstacle that stands in my way passionately, and this is how I got to where am right now.

What’s your favourite thing to do in London?
Party! Eat out, walk in the park and of course shopping!